A Mobile Flow is a set of instructions directing the platform how to handle different incoming messages. One basic example includes creating a new keyword to add subscribers to a list.
Find, Edit and Create Mobile Flows
- Click on the “Mobile Flows” tab on the left.
- A list of mobile flows will appear. Most mobile flows will correspond with a keyword and list.
- Follow steps 1-2 above.
- Click on the pencil icon of the desired mobile flow.
- Follow steps 1-2 from “Find a Mobile Flow.”
- Click “New Mobile Flow.”
- When all components have been included in the mobile flow, click “Save.”
- On the Overview page click the shortcut that says ‘Set up a new keyword or a two-way SMS: Create Mobile Flow’.
- Click “Save” when all components have been added.
- Locate the Mobile Flow to be duplicated following the steps above.
- Click on the 3-bar icon on the right hand side of the screen to duplicate the desired flow.
- Once clicked, page will redirect into the duplicated flow.
- Program Name, Flow Name and Keywords will all be stripped of the newly duplicated flow and must be reset.
- Best practice is to review any other items within the duplicated flow that should be changed and should be tested before Broadcasting.
Mobile Flow Capabilities
While the most common use of a mobile flow is to create a keyword, there are a variety of ways to interact with subscribers.
After editing or creating a mobile flow, the following components are visible:
- Box marked “A”: Information related to the mobile flow, including the mobile flow name, the campaign attached to the mobile flow, and the keywords assigned to the mobile flow.
- Box marked “B”: Select components for the mobile flow. Details on each component are available below.
- Box marked “C”: “View Mobile Flow Tree” is a visualization of each step in the mobile flow.
Creating a Keyword
All keywords must be attached to mobile flows. Keywords can be created upon creation of a flow or by editing the flow. There are no restrictions on the number of keywords a flow can contain.
- Type the keyword into the keyword box.
- To add the keyword, click the “+” button to add.
- If the keyword is not available an error will occur. A keyword may not be available if it is being used by another mobile flow or campaign on the same shortcode.
4. To delete a keyword click the “X” button next to the added keyword.
Add New Subscribers to a List
- Select the list for subscribers to be added from the select list drop down menu (see box marked “A”).
- Add the welcome message. A standard welcome message will populate the content area. Change “CAMPAIGN NAME” (see box marked “B”) to the campaign’s name. If a custom message is desired, the content “Text HELP for help, STOP to quit. Msg&Data rates may apply.” must be included for legal compliance reasons.
- Add a message for people who are already subscribed as the “Already Subscribed Message.” A standard message will populate the content area, or a custom message can be entered. Change the “CAMPAIGN NAME” (see box marked “C”) to the campaign’s name.
Metadata can be attached to any subscriber that texts in a specific keyword. Add the “Tag Metadata” component to the mobile flow to get started. More information is available in this Metadata article.
- Choose the metadata component to add to the flow. See box marked “A.”
- Choose the metadata field associated with the value of the tag. See box marked “B.”
- Choose the value of the tag from the second dropdown menu. See box marked “C.”
In addition to exact values, the following variables can be used in a Tag Metadata component:
- $inc: this will increase the current value of a numeric field by 1. Use it to count the number of times a subscriber has interacted with a mobile flow.
- $dec: this will decrease the current value of a numeric field by 1 (minimum 0).
- $keyword: this will set the metadata field equal to the exact keyword entered by the subscriber during this interaction. If no keyword has been entered (if the mobile flow is broadcast, for example), the value “$keyword” will go in instead.
The collect metadata component allows the mobile flow to request information from a subscriber (such as zip code), collect responses and send a thank you message.
- Choose the metadata to collect (see box marked “A”).
- Type a request message in the first text box (see box marked “B”).
- Type a response message in the second text box (see box marked “C”).
- Type an invalid format message in the third text box (see box marked “D”). For example, if a zip code is requested and someone replies with something other than a 5-digit zip code, they will be asked to try again.
Set up interactive polls, surveys and trivia through text message.
- Choose the number of responses, up to 4 (box marked “A”).
- Enter the question in the “Poll Question” text box (see box marked “B”).
- Enter the response choices (see boxes marked “C1” and “C2”).
- For each answer choice, choose how the platform should handle the response (see box marked “D”). Send the subscriber a response message, send information to a subscriber from another mobile flow, or move on to the next component in the existing mobile flow.
- At the end of a poll it will automatically add “Reply with A or B or [other options].” Be sure to test the poll, if it is over 160 characters some carriers will send this as two messages.