A Mobile Flow is a set of instructions directing the platform how to handle different incoming messages. One basic example includes creating a new keyword to add subscribers to a list.
Find, Edit and Create Mobile Flows
Find a Mobile Flow
- Click on the “Mobile Flows” tab on the left.
- A list of your mobile flows will appear. Most mobile flows will correspond with a keyword and list.
Edit A Mobile Flow
- Follow steps 1-2 above.
- Click on the pencil icon of the mobile flow you would like to edit.
Create A Mobile Flow
- Follow steps 1-2 from “Find a Mobile Flow.”
- Click “New Mobile Flow.”
- When you have added all the components you would like to include in the mobile click “Save.”
- On the Overview page click the shortcut that says “Set up a new keyword or a two-way SMS: Create Mobile Flow”
- Click “Save” when you have added all components
Duplicate A Mobile Flow
- Locate the Mobile Flow to be duplicated following the steps above.
- Click on the 3-bar icon on the right hand side of the screen to duplicate the desired flow.
- Once that has been clicked, the user is redirected into the duplicated flow.
- Program Name, Flow Name and Keywords will all be stripped on the newly duplicated flow and must be reset.
- It is a suggested best practice to review any other items within the duplicated flow that should be changed and should be tested before Broadcasting.
Mobile Flow Capabilities
While the most common use of a mobile flow is to create a keyword, mobile flows provide you with a number of ways to interact with your subscribers.
After editing or creating a mobile flow you will see the following components:
- Box marked “A”: Information related to your mobile flow, including the mobile flow name, the campaign attached to the mobile flow, and the keywords assigned to the mobile flow.
- Box marked “B”: Select components for your mobile flow. All capabilities will be explained in further detail.
- Box marked “C”: “View Mobile Flow Tree” will show you a visualization of each step in the mobile flow.
Creating a Keyword
All keywords must be attached to mobile flows. To create a keyword you must edit or create a new mobile flow. There can be as many keywords as you want attached to one flow.
- Type the keyword into the keyword box.
- To add the keyword, click the “+” button next to where you have typed in the keyword.
- If the keyword is not available you will see the red error. A keyword may not be available if it is being used by another mobile flow or campaign on the same shortcode.
4. To delete a keyword click the “X” button next to the added keyword.
Add New Subscribers to a List
- Select the list for subscribers to be added from the select list drop down menu (see box marked “A”).
- Add your welcome message. You can use the standard welcome message we have provided and simply change “CAMPAIGN NAME” (see box marked “B”) to your campaign’s name. If you do not use our standard welcome message language, you must be sure that “Text HELP for help, STOP to quit. Msg&Data rates may apply.” is included in the content of your welcome message for legal compliance reasons.
- Add a message for people who are already subscribed as the “Already Subscribed Message.” You can use our standard message by changing the “CAMPAIGN NAME” (see box marked “C”) to your campaign’s name.
You can add metadata tags to anyone who texts in a specific keyword. Simply add the “Tag Metadata” component to the mobile flow to get started. For more information on creating & editing Metadata.
- Choose the metadata component to add to the flow. See box marked “A.”
- Choose the metadata field associated with the value of the tag. See box marked “B.”
- Choose the value of the tag from the second dropdown menu. See box marked “C.”
In addition to exact values, you can use the following variables in a Tag Metadata component:
- $inc: this will increase the current value of a numeric field by 1. Use it to count the number of times a subscriber has interacted with a mobile flow.
- $dec: this will decrease the current value of a numeric field by 1 (minimum 0).
- $keyword: this will set the metadata field equal to the exact keyword entered by the subscriber during this interaction. If no keyword has been entered (if the mobile flow is broadcast, for example), the literal value “$keyword” will go in instead.
This component will allow you to ask a question, collect responses and send a thank you message.
- Choose the metadata that you would like to collect (see box marked “A”).
- Type a request message in the first text box (see box marked “B”).
- Type a response message in the second text box (see box marked “C”).
- Type an invalid format message in the third text box (see box marked “D”). For example, if you request a zip code and people reply with something other than a 5-digit zip code, they will be asked to try again.
This component allows you to do interactive polls, surveys and trivia through text message.
- Choose how many choices you would like subscribers to have (see box marked “A”).
- Type your question in the “Poll Question” text box (see box marked “B”).
- Type your response choices (see boxes marked “C1” and “C2”).
- For each answer choice, choose how the platform should handle the response (see box marked “D”). You will be able to either send the subscriber a response message, send information to a subscriber from another mobile flow, or move on to the next component in the existing mobile flow.
- At the end of a poll it will automatically add “Reply with A or B or [other options].” Be sure to test your poll, if it is over 160 characters some carriers will send this as two messages.